I postponed writing until late today so that I could write something definite as to our plans. It was almost decided last night that Stockton would go to Va. tomorrow and I would go with him to stay until Monday, getting Miss Finley to sleep here. at ni But it couldn't be settled until Stockton went in to see his doctors again. He went on the special and got back at three, I being very busy in the meantime with preparations for the journey. But when he reached Dr. Hayes he was (fortunately perhaps) at his very worst. It was borne in upon them how serious his condition is and it ended with their insisting on his coming to N. Y. and staying in their house for a week at least— in Dr. Van Valzeh's room. The doctor himself will be there in two weeks probably, so this plan will enable Stockton to see him. Of course I am deeply thankful that affairs have taken this turn, for it becomes daily more evident that he is in no condition to go alone among strangers. He will hardly go to Va. at all now but join the Tedcastles on their fishing trip if he is well enough by the 10th of May. Dr. Hayes says the kidney trouble is really not serious,– ought to pass off of itself as his general condition improves. This is no letter of course, darling, but I too desperately tired to write more tonight. Tomorrow it will be different. Mr. Hibben has been perfectly lovely to us! — I hope for a letter from my darling tomorrow.
With love beyond words.